Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chapter 13: Methods of Discovery

· What concept/s in this class have you found most interesting? What was it about that concept/s that you found interesting.

I would have to say that I enjoyed all of chapter twelve because it was about Intercultural Communication and how we interact, define, and communicate with other cultures. I especially like the term collectivism and how it brings cultures together and their shared identity is more important than their personal identity. We Americans are what is called an indivualistic culture, where we value ourselfes, our decisions, and our own opinions and can care less about others. I would like to think that over time this will change and we will become a more loving and caring people.

I found these two concepts so interesting because I think that if people started caring about their neighbors, co-workers, or strangers more we wouldn't be such a failing country. I feel that we are always extending our hand as a country to help those in need, but is it ever our true American hand, or just the idea of the American Red Cross, The Peace Corps, or any other agency that steps in when catastrophe hits? Why can't we show our fellow country men and women that same courtesy, right here at home, on a daily basis? I think that America would be a better place if we were to be less individualistic and a little more collective.

No comments: