Sunday, September 7, 2008

Chapter 2: Definitions, Models, and Perspectives

● Consider the social constructionist perspective. How do we “build worlds” through communication? Think of some ideas we talk about in our culture that may not exist in other cultures. How do these concepts contribute to our happiness or success (of the lack of these) in our culture?

When considering the social constructionist perspective I understand it because in my family I was taught to look at the world through my parents and my collective family through the ways in which they taught me, spoke to me, and interacted with me. We had definite cultural traditions with guided me throughout my early years of life.

The ideas we talked about in my family were completely religion based (Traditional Roman Catholic). They were rigid and at times very extreme and did not exist in many other cultures outside of other Traditional Roman Catholic families. The concepts that I learned from my collective family did not benefit me and prohibited me from appreciating, understanding, and respecting other cultural norms and traditions. In addition, it separated me from other cultures and could have caused judgment and prejudice.

I am happy to say that I have since expanded my learning and have come to see with an open heart and open mind the different traditions, norms, and rules of other cultures with a loving appreciation and a thirst to know more about them.

Cherry:)

No comments: