Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Week 7: Chapter 5, Encoding Messages: Nonverbal Communication

~Although nonverbal messages are more universal than verbal messages, nonverbals do not always carry the same meanings in other cultures. Can you give examples of some of the nonverbal displays that take on different meanings in other countries? If you have moved around within this country, have you ever encountered regional differences in nonverbal meaning?

Yes, it is true that nonverbal messgaes are more universal than verbal messages and yet, they do not always carry the same meanings in every culture. Examples I can give to support this are, when I was at Starbucks waiting in line to get a coffee there was this man from India standing behind me and he was standing very close to me. I was bothered, frustrated, and a bit nervous that he was standing so close to me, so I turned around and asked him if he would please move back a bit and he politely did. What happened was that I wasn't used to a stranger standing so close to me and invading my personal space. Our personal space rules were evidently very different.
Another example was when I was attending De Anza Community College and I was sitting in my Intercultural Communication class listening to a lecture from my speech teacher and then we each had to get in groups and discuss our cultural norms and traditions and there was a Japanese student who wouldn't make eye contact when he was addressing our teacher. He simply stated that in his culture it is out of respect that he doesn't look at people directly in the eye especially someone of authority like a teacher. I was thankful that he had shared that piece of information because in American culture we are taught that you are to look every individual in the eye to show respect.
Unfortunately, I have not moved around this country and do not have examples regional differences in nonverbal meaning.

Happy Blogging:)

1 comment:

sakishot said...

I understand what you wrote about the personal space issue. I also wrote about people invading our personal space but it is a cultural difference and they do not realize they are making someone uncomfortable or frustrated. After taking an intercultural course you learn a lot of explanations of why cultures and people do certain things. It has made me feel guilty getting irritated with people because they act differently from what I think is the "norm". It is interesting to learn about the different nonverbal messages other cultures practice because I wish we practiced some of them. I was reading in the newspaper the other day that it is considered polite and a compliment in Asian cultures if you make the slurping sound while eating noodles because it means the food is tasty.